Sunday, May 30, 2010

SB1070 in Phoenix


Marching through downtown Phoenix, protestors organized a rally against Arizona's controversial SB1070 law, allowing authorities to ask for proof of citizenship when given probable cause. Saturday, May 29, 2010, the National Day of Action Against SB1070, 50, 000 activists marched the five miles to the Arizona state capital demanding that President Barack Obama repeal the law on May 29, 2010 in Phoenix, Ariz. (PHOTO BY L.M. PARR/ BROOKS INSTITUTE ©2010)




Deciding in a matter of hours to jump in my car and make the crazy seven hour drive to Phoenix, Arizona for the SB1070 Immigration Protest, I have to say I'm generally happy with the results of my photos. This was my first protest on a large scale.


I made the conscious decision to under-lens myself, with only a 16-35mm on my camera, pushing myself to interact with the crowd and step out of my comfort zone and truly understand the raw emotions of the protestors through my photos. I knew bringing a 70-200mm with me would only serve as a crutch, allowing me to shoot from a distance.

Marching with these people, listening to their chants and sharing their emotions on the five mile march to the capital really altered my view of this issue. I experienced their joys and their passion for this issue in the two days spent in downtown Phoenix.

No comments:

Post a Comment