Monday, March 21, 2011

PAC10 Gymnastics Competition









Taking a Sports Photojournalism 101 class this session, I've never really understood the joy in covering sports events as anything more than a chance to make a difficult situation into great photos. A friend has always quoted Thurgood Marshall saying, "I only read the sports pages because they report man's accomplishments. The front page is man's failure..." But I never truly understood the joy of sports photography until today... finally.

I'm by no-means an athlete, I danced. I rode horses and did things in the non-traditional sense of athleticism but mainstream, team sports have always been beyond my realm. So experiencing a team dynamic is so new to me, but I've begun to fully embrace it.

Having the privilege of assisting a friend working for a huge sports publication covering an even bigger event at UCLA, I think I've finally begun to wrap my head around the idea behind the unity of team sports that drives so many of my friends to continue to photograph sports. There's so many quiet, inspiring moments that move me as a storyteller behind a lens. I love having the privilege of witnessing the highest highs and lowest lows in competition.

I'm truly falling in love with sports photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment